"May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you." Psalm 25:21 NLT

Rest on God's promises; stand behind yours.

Monday, May 18, 2009

GABSPAG.



I've cooked more in the past 6 years here in the U.S than I did in all 16 years in the Philippines. I just realized this as I was washing my dishes, and noticing how our family kitchen needs some cleaning, and how the dishes never seem to go away. Having no money, time, and living far from decent 'fast' foods is doing me some good! I miss FRESH foods... fresh fish, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, etc. I miss FRESH FILIPINO FOODS! =D


So far, I've successfully learned how to cook my favorite Filipino foods like pork sinigang, pork sisig, chicken adobo, pansit, kare-kare, menudo, etc. I also learned and mastered how to cook different types of PASTAS! But I also want to learn more, so I'm hoping that next year or whenever God will allow me, I will be able to take culinary arts. For me, food is indeed such a simple, yet powerful way to treat yourself well!

Now, I would like to share one of my FAVORITE experiments. I call this pasta, "GABSPAG" or GABRIEL'S SPAGHETTI. HAHA. I named it after my little brother, and the reason for that was because I wanted him to try something else other than eating EGG and RICE all the time! YIKES! I hope you guys like it. Here we go...


Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

What you need:

ANY PASTA OF YOUR CHOICE but (1lb) SPAGHETTI will be the best for this dish!
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1tsp all purpose seasonings
1/2 tsp of parsley flakes
1 regular size bell peppers (any color of your choice)
1 can of SPAM (cut into small cubes)
4 oz. or 113g of sliced mushrooms


Note: All ingredients are my brother's favorites. You may also add BROCCOLI to add more vegetables! This pasta can also work with white sauce or alfredo sauce that you can buy in the grocery stores. =D

How to cook it:

1. In a large pot, bring 3 qts salted water to boil. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook according to package directions.

2. In medium skillet, heat oil. Add garlic and bell peppers. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, just until garlic starts to turn golden, 1 to 2 mins.

3. Add SPAM. Saute for 2 minutes and add sliced mushrooms, all purpose seasonings and parsley, stirring gently just to heat through. Keep warm.

4. Drain spaghetti, reserving at least 1/2 cup cooking water. Return spaghetti to pot. Over low heat, stir in with the rest of the ingredients and enough cooking water, 1 tbsp at a time, just to coat spaghetti.

If you have any question or suggestion regarding this, please feel free to let me know. I would love to hear it! Thank you for reading and God Bless!

-Glenda

4 comments:

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

wow! thanks for sharing .mukhang masarap yan ha.
ako din pretty. dito rin lang ako natutong magluto hehe... kailangan matuto kc di kami marunong pareho ni hubby at tsaka namiss ko ang lutong pinoy. marunong ako ng afritada (hubby's fave), giniling (picadillo), lumpia, nilaga, beef steak, beef kaldereta pero dami ko pa gustong matutunan na lutuin..

Sarah A. Galang, Ph.D. said...

Hi Glenda, thanks for the visit. Thank you also for the recipe.
My son loved it.

Unknown said...

i smelled the food from here...it's because you're cooking!! hehe okay, i will try this one next time, thank you for sharing!

Dhemz said...

yehey! finally ganda...nakaka comment na ako sa mansion mo...hehehe!

wow I never thought you can cook...great job dear...this is awesome...am sure your future hubby will be bless to have a great and wonderful wife that knows how to cook..hehehhe!