"May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you." Psalm 25:21 NLT

Rest on God's promises; stand behind yours.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Sleeping early.


Few weeks ago, I started working day shift again and having said that, sleeping early every night has been my problem. I’m a late sleeper. As a result, waking up in the morning is such a chore to me. Who would want to wake up early especially with this kind of weather, where its raining and you could actually feel the cold breeze from outside? It’s funny how I would always set up my cell phone alarm before I go to bed, and yet when the time comes for it to alarm, I would turn it off. LOL I just want to stay in my bed and sleep all day. But, I had no choice but to get up eventually.

My new day time/part-time job requires lot of thinking and energy, and I've been having a BIG fat headache afterwards. I realized that one of the causes of this headache was because I don’t get enough sleep. I think the only time I get more than 8 hours of sleep or at least 8 hours of sleep is over the weekend or when I’m sick.

My boyfriend (who just graduated from nursing) and I had a very interesting discussion regarding this matter because I always complain on how my head hurts. He told me lot of medical explanation on how important it is for all of us to get enough sleep. But since I’m being a little stubborn, I kind of ignored it. Bad me! After awhile, I suddenly thought of it again and asked him. He explained to me how most of the time, people force themselves to stay awake. Initially, people would say that they can’t sleep because they’re not sleepy, but the truth is we're just fighting it.

I realized that this is true. Subconsciously, I do that. I find it hard to sleep before 12 am not because I can’t sleep, but because I keep myself up with the thought that it’s just so wrong to sleep before a certain time. Therefore, even if I’m tired, I'm still fighting it and will try to find other things to keep me busy.

And it's bad. REALLY bad.

So from now on, I decided to LISTEN to my parents and boyfriend’s advice and actually sleep early… After working the whole day, plus household chores, I must be very exhausted and tired… this time, I’m not going to fight it over. Let the tiredness and exhaustion take over, lie in bed, and succumb to sleep. You all should do it too. It feels great when you know you can take care of your own health.

God Bless and Have a good sleep everyone!

-Glenda

No comments: